If you smell gas or suspect your home is on fire leave your home immediately and Call 911.
Always remember the first rule of life which is SAFETY FIRST. If you are having any sort of HVAC emergency that you feel is dangerous please leave your home and call for help from your cellphone.
Natural Gas is something that you cannot smell or see. That’s why a substance is added to it, called mercaptan. It’s a very distinct odor that is often similar to that of a rotten egg. The smell is very distinct, so you can immediately determine if there is a gas leak in your house.
If you smell Burning, Sulfic, or “Rotten eggs”
Take immediate action, especially if you hear any hissing.
- Get your family, friends, and pets out of your home NOW.
- Do not turn on or off any lights – the small electrical arc created could cause the gas to ignite.
- Do not turn on the stove.
- Open as many windows as you can as quickly as you can
- Do not use any electrical devices including your house phone or cell phone while in the house.
- If the car is in the garage, leave it. Starting the car could cause an explosion — so could the mere act of opening the garage door using the door opener.
- Go to another location to call for help
- Do not go back into the home until a trained professional as told you that it is safe to do so
Causes of Burning Smell from Furnace Heating System
- Wires Burning
- Motor burnout
- Dust buildup